Fig Fruit Powder
FIG are the fruit of the ficus tree, which is part of the mulberry family (Moraceae). Figs have a unique, sweet taste, soft and chewy texture and are littered with slightly crunchy, edible seeds. Fresh figs are delicate and perishable, so are often dried to preserve them. This produces a sweet and nutritious dried fruit that can be enjoyed all year round. There are multiple varieties of fig, all of which vary widely in colour and texture. Their unique feature is a little bud-like opening called an ostiole at the top that helps the fruit develop. Their natural sweetness meant that, before the days of refined sugars, they were often used as a sweetener.
One of the world’s oldest trees, the fig tree can be traced back to the earliest historical documents and features prominently in the Bible. Figs are native to the Middle East and Mediterranean and were held in such high regard by the Greeks that laws were once created to prevent their export.
Nutritional Properties of Fig powder:
- Figs are high in natural sugars, minerals and soluble fibre.
- Figs are rich in minerals including potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and copper and are a good source of antioxidant vitamins A and K that contribute to health and wellness.
Health benefits of Fig Powder:
- May helps for weight management as high-fiber foods have a positive impact on weight reduction.
- Helps to reduce blood pressure.
- Boosts Heart Health
- Promotes reproductive health
- Improves Bone health
- Helps to prevents constipation
- Regulates blood sugar
- Fig powder can be used to make pies, pudding, cakes, other bakery products, jams, jellies, etc.
- It can also be used in desserts such as muffins, bars, porridge, oatmeal or breakfast cereals.